Saturday, August 27, 2011

Ubiquity

I drove with Sonja in a taxi to the airport this morning. She's always taking taxis, because the boss pays, and I can't help considering it an unnecessary luxury. The Indian or Pakistani taxi driver was very talkative. After he told me (only me; he spoke Dutch) that 3 people died yesterday in an accident on the stretch of highway we were driving on, he almost made a repeat by narrowly jumping out of the way of a car as we entered Schiphol.

Sonja and me had a hurried goodbye. I looked for a post office on the airport but found none. Drank a Starbucks tall latte (at the moment, the Starbucks on Schiphol is the only one in the entire country -- I'm sure that's changed in 2011) and caught the train to work.

I'm getting obsessive over building our new R6 interface, spending almost no time on what my job title says I should be doing (tech writing). At lunchtime, I speedwalked to the post office and back to run an errand for Sonja: delivering gifts for the newborn baby of one of her business associates, the Dutch lawyer in her arbitration case. Good exercise, we're trying to lose weight.

At the end of the day I saw a demo online for Ubiquity, an exciting new add-on for the Firefox browser (does that still exist?). I mailed it to Ingrid, my former fellow tech writer turned marketing person, but she didn't respond. I wonder if she's OK, I could swear I saw her teary-eyed while talking to our colleague Otto.

On the way home, I read Dictionary of the Khazars (almost finished, will probably finish today).

I tried to eat healthy but ended up eating too much. I'm still below my daily calorie intake according to a Dutch site.

Haven't heard from Sonja since she called me from takeoff. Will call her soon.

No comments: